Venison / Beef / Kangaroo Pasta Bake (It is up to you)
Well this is a blasphemous gamey version of the Italian- American Sunday dinner staple that is ‘meat sauce or gravy’. It is extremely cheap and cheerful, using crappy cuts of meat and veg that you will find in any fridge or freezer.
250g of chopped mushrooms
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
2 Venison Steaks or stewing beef or kangaroo
6 Venison Meat balls (instructions below)
½ Bag of the pasta of your choice
½ Bag of Spinach
½ Litre Beef Stock
150g Feta Cheese
X2 TS Cajun Seasoning
X1 TS Basil
X1 TS Mixed Herbs
X2 Cloves of Garlic (crushed)
X1 TS Chilli Flakes
X2 TS Turmeric
Salt & Pepper to taste.
Making The Meatballs:
300g Mince XMeat (Again Beef, Venison or Kangaroo taste great)
X2 diced shallots
X1 Minced Garlic Clove
Pinch of Grated Nutmeg
X3 TS grated Parsley
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Portion out into 6-8 meatballs and refrigerate.
The longer you cook this recipe before adding the pasta the better. I typically cook the meat / saucey bit over night on low in the slow cooker, or you can cook it over a fire or low hob for 4-6hours for tenderness and deliciousness.
- Place the tinned tomatoes and the stock, all the herbs and onion into the slow cooker and allow to bubble and simmer.
- Add the meatballs and steak and leave the concoction alone for 4-6 hours on low if you are using a slow cooker or low heat on the hob. This dish can be made using an oven also (120c for 4-6 hours covered).
- About 1hour before serving add your pasta, mushrooms and spinach and allow to cook (if the sauce is appearing dry add x1 cup boiling water). If using your slow cooker turn it to high for the last hour.
- Garnish with Feta and enjoy, it really is as simple as that.